Unit Steering and Overall Assessment - Plant Protection
The work of the unit encompasses the overall evaluation of all individual assessments prepared by the scientific units of Department 6 and the coordination of the tasks related to the health assessment of plant protection products and their active substances. In addition, the unit coordinates the cooperation between the other departments and with federal institutes, industry, national and international organisations and the competent ministries in matters relating to plant protection products.
This coordination involves the scheduling of health risk assessments within the framework of the statutory tasks according to the laws on pesticides in line with the EU Pesticide Regulation.
The main tasks of the unit comprise:
- An initial administrative examination and IT registration of the processes;
- Preliminary scientific examination;
- Coordination of scheduling and time management;
- Research on health risk assessment;
- Merging of the assessment reports from the units into a final overall assessment and coordination of management options;
- Organisation of coordination meetings on health risk assessment;
- Preparation of final notices and assessment reports.
As part of the overall assessment, the unit participates in national and international bodies for the risk assessment of plant protection products and the further development of testing and assessment strategies.
Furthermore, the unit is responsible for the content of the official factual databases for plant protection products, as well as for the department’s administration and document management databases for procedures involving plant protection products.